Friday, August 10, 2012

Growing from Summer Youth Program


Guest Blogger: Annie Feng

My name is Annie Feng, I came from China when I was 13 years old and shortly after, I went to Malden High School. In the fall I will be a freshman in college attending the University of Massachusetts Boston. 
Through the last five weeks’ working at My Little Best Friends Daycare, I have learned a few important lessons. Patience is the most important asset to have when taking care of kids. I always love kids and playing with them. But to be a babysitter, patience is something I have increasingly gained, along with a close eye for detail. Previous to my job, I knew how to change a diaper from taking care of my sister, but at the ELC I have learned to change more than one child. It was hard for me to become accustomed to, but I gradually learned how to balance multiple tasks and pay careful attention to everything. I have also learned what to do after a child finishes a meal, and to watch the kids carefully to ensure their safety.
Another important concept at work is to teach the children what to do and what not to do in the classroom. It has been difficult adjusting to this, but as the weeks went on, I grew confident and now I feel comfortable teaching the children life lessons. One instance of this was when we took the children to the park to play. We lined up and began walking; on the way to the park I was standing in the back of the line to make sure all the kids were safe and together. One child was looking back and not where he was walking and almost hit a tree, I quickly pulled him out so he would not get hurt. I told him that he needs to pay attention where he walks. Circumstances like this happen frequently when taking care of kids; we have to be very careful. I felt grateful that I was able to help this child stray from danger.
I am very happy to have this opportunity to work at My Little Best Friends and to grow from this experience. And I believe the lessons I learned here will help me in the future no matter what kind of career I would choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment