Monday, August 27, 2012

Communication and Responsibility: Learning as a summer youth intern


Communication and Responsibility: Learning as a summer youth intern

Guest Blogger: Rumana Papia

Working as an intern at the Superintendent's office has taught me the importance of communication and responsibility. Whether it was communicating with others in the office, with teachers of the schools, or interdepartmentally with Human Resources, the Business Department, and the Mayor’s Office, communication is an important aspect of maintaining a healthy school system and city.
Communication doesn’t just stop at the end of the school day when the bell rings. Parents and guardians are encouraged to stay engaged in their children’s school life. In one occasion a concerned parent began asking me questions about the High School considering her 13 year old daughter was going to be attending the following month. It was clear to me that education was incredibly important to her. In order to provide parents and children the best possible education experience they can receive, the Superintendent’s Office consults with constituents, keeps teachers’ files maintained, and makes sure each faculty member is properly equipped with appropriate skills so that the students have the opportunity to learn to be active progressives in the modern world. It is often said “children are the future,” but in order to obtain a successful and prosperous future, teachers, parents, and most importantly, students have to work together.

My supervisors, Jo Ann and Marie, taught me important lessons through my first job experience. They work closely with Superintendent David DeRousi, and their motivation has always been and will always be the children. These respectable women taught me that it is okay to ask questions, that it is alright to be curious, they explained to me how each person and each department is responsible for a specific task and that in order to keep Malden and its residents satisfied, one must make sure everyone contributes their part.

I am very thankful to have this job experience, the lessons I learned have given me a new perspective into the school system and will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment