Thursday, August 8, 2013

Guest Blog: What Is It Like to Work in the Mayor's Summer Youth Program


Over the last two summers working in the Mayor’s Office, I have learned about being in the working world -- from watching the Mayor manage our city, to learning how to interact with constituents. I am grateful for this amazing opportunity to work for the Mayor’s Summer Youth Employment Program, and thankful for all it has taught me.

A main part of my job in this office is answering phone calls and helping those who walk into the Mayor’s Office. Constituent Services Representative Yan Yu taught me so much about being respectful, polite, and incredibly helpful to all who call the Mayor’s Office. These interactions helped me learn more than just the Government Center extension numbers.

Each department is responsible for certain tasks throughout the city, and the main goal is for all to work together to create the best Malden possible. Besides gaining a deep understanding of the departments in our city, I have realized my own communication skills have improved.

I am able to speak with confidence, but also ask questions when I do not know the answer. These skills will absolutely play into my future when I am out of college and on my own.

As a Class of 2013 Alumnus of Malden High School, this fall I will be starting my freshman year at Trinity College in Hartford, CT, where I plan on studying Engineering. Many people have asked me why I am working in the Mayor’s Office if I want to enter the math and science field -- however, the two overlap more than most think.

Outstanding people, accounting, and management skills are looked at highly, regardless of the job field. In Engineering, I will not only be able to specialize in my lab work, but will have the resources I need to be a successful leader and manager of that lab, all because of my experience in MYSEP.

No comments:

Post a Comment